AltRed published clinical studies
We have conducted gold-standard clinical studies that prove positive effects for endurance athletes taking AltRed. Gold standard studies are double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled, and randomized. Field research has been ongoing for 10+ years.
Highlights from studies:
- 3.5% more watts
- 3% faster times
- 15% reduction in perceived exertion
- 2.5% more distance
- 5.4% increased exercise efficiency
- 9% reduction in exercise-induced muscle damage
- 14% less lactate acid production
Betalain-Rich Concentrate Supplementation Improves Exercise Performance and Recovery in Competitive Triathletes (University of California, Davis)
- The study examined the effects of a betalain-rich concentrate (BRC) on triathlete performance and recovery.
- 22 triathletes participated in the study, which involved a week of either BRC or placebo supplementation.
- After the week, participants performed a cycling and running trial.
- The study found that those who took BRC ran faster in a 10-km trial.
- Despite running faster, BRC participants didn't experience increased heart rate or perceived exertion.
- BRC participants also ran faster in a 5-km trial held 24 hours after the 10-km trial.
- BRC supplementation resulted in less increase in creatine kinase, a muscle damage marker.
- Participants reported less fatigue increase after 24 hours with BRC.
- The study concluded that BRC improved performance and recovery in triathletes.
Betalain-Rich Concentrate Supplementation Improves Exercise Performance in Competitive Runners (University of California, Davis)
- The study aimed to investigate the effects of a betalain-rich concentrate (BRC) on performance and exercise-related muscle damage.
- The study involved 13 competitive male runners who completed two trials (BRC and control) separated by seven days.
- Each trial was preceded by six days of supplementation with 100 mg of BRC or a control substance.
- On the seventh day, exercise trials began 150 minutes after supplementation with 50 mg BRC or control and consisted of 30 minutes of treadmill running followed by a 5-km time trial (TT).
- During exercise at the same intensity, BRC resulted in a 3% lower heart rate, a 15% lower rate of perceived exertion (RPE), and a 14% lower blood lactate concentration compared to the control.
- The 5-km TT duration was faster in 10 of the 13 subjects, and RPE was lower with the BRC treatment compared to the control.
- Despite the improved performance, lactate dehydrogenase, a marker of muscle damage, increased less from baseline to immediately and 30 min after the 5-km TT with the BRC treatment.
- The study concluded that BRC supplementation improved 5-km performance time in male competitive runners.
Effect of 1-Week Betalain-Rich Beetroot Concentrate Supplementation on Cycling Performance and Select Physiological Parameters (Auburn University)
Researchers conducted a study on cyclists that showed they produced an average watt increase of 3.5% during a 30-minute functional threshold power test when they used AltRed. Cyclists also increased cycling efficiency by an average of 5.4%.